Saturday, April 24, 2010

Different Views on Saladin

As my research project, I've been exploring Saladin's consolidation of power in Egypt. From my research, I've realized there are many different points of view on Saladin's achievements. In other words, some people think of Saladin as an excellent, perhaps one of the greatest, leaders of the crusades era; others find his achievements to be largely overstated. I've developed my own opinion, which is somewhere inbetween the two views. I highly suggest taking a look at the book Saladin by Hans Mohring. The book provides details about Saladin's life, stripped of all bias and flowery praise. Try seeing what opinion you form on the Sultan.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. The fact that most of what we know of Saladin comes from his secretaries, and people who worked under him, I feel there will some bias in their opinions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good papers. Many useful papers i can read in http://crusades-medieval.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete